[Seminars] FW: Physics Colloquium Thursday October 1, 2020 at 3:30pm CDT with Jonathan Simon

Ramona Echols rechols06 at uchicago.edu
Tue Sep 29 09:00:04 CDT 2020

[cid:7201dfa4-7f10-4db1-89c9-5ee9d2f58228]

When Photons Self-Organized: Mott Insulators and Laughlin States of Light

[cid:5228ce1d-2c8b-4e79-a20f-443af8f3b0a3]

Jonathan Simon

University of Chicago

3:30pm CDT, Thursday, October 1, 2020

ZOOM Link:
https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/j/96367028599?pwd=VU9nOHZ1YW1hUnZGVXNPTVBhOWdkdz09

In this talk I will describe the first materials composed of self-organized, strongly-interacting photons. These are (1) a Laughlin molecule of optical photons, and (2) a Mott insulator of microwave photons. The challenge of using light to make and probe these materials will teach us what each of these quantum few-body states is, and because we must engineer the photons to realize each necessary ingredient from the ground up, the materials will be distilled to their bare essentials. I will conclude with prospects to push these ideas even further, from synthetic wormholes for light to optical/mm-wave inter-converters.

Tiffany Kurns, Undergraduate Affairs Administrator
Department of Physics, Instructional Services Office
5720 S. Ellis Avenue, KPTC 205
Chicago, IL. 60637
Phone: 773-702-7019
tkurns at uchicago.edu