[Seminars] Meetings with Speaker This Week

Theodore Brennan tdbrennan at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 28 21:29:41 CDT 2020

Hello Everyone,

This week our speaker for the Particle Seminar is Hofie Hassendottir for Harvard. The details of her talk are:
Title:
A Finite S-matrix

Abstract:
The S-matrix is a fundamental object in making theoretical predictions for collider scattering experiments. It is inspired by a well-defined operator in non-relativistic quantum mechanics, but is plagued with both ultraviolet (UV) and infrared (IR) divergences in quantum field theory. While UV divergences are now understood through the program of renormalization, IR divergences remain an active area of research. In this talk, we explore three solutions to the IR divergence problem: i) The cross section method, ii) modification of the S-matrix, and iii) the coherent state formalism. We show how our modified S-matrix in theories with massless particles can be interpreted as Wilson coefficients in Soft-collinear effective theory, remainder functions in N=4 super Yang-Mills theory, or as coherent states. Exploring the analytic structure of this new S-matrix thus provides a new probe to properties of familiar objects from scattering calculations.
For those who are interested, the speaker has set aside times for one-on-one meetings. The available time slots are:

  1.  10:30 am -11:00 am
  2.  11:00 am - 11:30 am
  3.  12:00 pm - 12:30 pm
  4.  12:30pm - 1:00 pm
There will also be time for an additional group discussion after the talk. To reserve a timeslot, please email me.

Best,
Daniel Brennan