[Seminars] Accelerator Seminar Talk Today!

Holly Jaffey holly2 at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 22 10:17:45 CST 2018

ACCELERATOR SCIENCE SEMINAR TODAY

Monday January 22, 2018
PRC 201
4:15pm

Speaker: John Power (Argonne)

Title:   Electron Beam-Driven Wakefield Acceleration at the Argonne Wakefield Accelerator

Abstract:Future accelerator applications such as: a mutli-TeV e+e- linear collider, multiuser free electron laser facilities, gamma-ray sources, medical accelerators, etc., all benefit from compact and efficient acceleration.  At ANL’s Argonne Wakefield Accelerator (AWA) Facility, we are carrying out a program to develop the electron beam and accelerator medium (structure or plasma) technology required to develop compact electron beam-driven wakefield acceleration method.  I will discuss the capabilities and recent progress at the AWA facility to develop the science & technology needed to realize this method.  The facility includes: a 70 MeV drive linac and a 15 MeV main linac for exploring 10’s GHz wakefield acceleration concepts; a recently added emittance exchange beamline to help achieve 100’s GHz wakefield acceleration; an electron gun test stand for high-brightness electron source development; RF and THz radiation generation capabilities, and advanced accelerator structure development expertise.