[Seminars] Particle Physics Seminar Today

Holly Jaffey holly2 at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 8 10:25:43 CST 2018

PARTICLE PHYSICS SEMINAR TODAY

Monday January 8, 2018
PRC 201
4:15pm

Speaker: Nhan Tran (Fermilab)

Title:  Fast & Furious 10: future triggers and machine learning at the LHC and beyond

Abstract: With increasingly complex collision environments at the LHC and concurrently growing data rates, more sophisticated detector and reconstruction methods are required to preserve the LHC program.  However, this cannot coincide with an upsurge of computational and processing time.  I will discuss plans for the CMS hardware trigger in the HL-LHC era and the role of advanced reconstruction techniques, including recent results.  Then I will examine the potential for machine learning implementations in the trigger FPGA hardware.  Finally I will speculate on what this means for future high level trigger and offline computing architectures.