[Seminars] Particle Physics seminar today

Holly Jaffey holly2 at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 26 14:29:10 CST 2018

PARTICLE PHYSICS SEMINAR TODAY

Monday February 26, 2018
PRC 201
4:15pm

Speaker: Miguel Arratia (UC Berkeley)

Title:    Analyzing jets emitted from Bose-Einstein condensates with insights from particle physics

Abstract: In this talk, I will propose an explanation for some of the features of the emission of jets of atoms from stimulated Bose-Einstein condensates, discovered recently by Clark et al. (Nature 551, 356359), by using analogies with particle physics. I argue that the widening and depletion of the away-side peak in the measured angular correlation function is consistent with a dijet acoplanarity of a few degrees, similar to the case of parton-parton scattering with "intrinsic kT''. I will also show proposals for studies of collectivity in this jet phenomenon inspired in studies of the quark-gluon plasma.