[Seminars] EFI Colloquium Monday April 3, 2023

Ramona Echols rechols06 at uchicago.edu
Tue Mar 28 10:37:17 CDT 2023

***EFI Colloquium ***

Monday April 3, 2023
3:30 PM
MCP 201
Light Refreshments at 3pm

Some Recent Results in Gravitational-Wave Science
Dan Holz, UChicago

The era of gravitational-wave astrophysics and cosmology has begun. We'll discuss some recent results, focusing on constraints that come from the population of gravitational-wave events. Topics will include the lower (between neutron stars and black holes) and the upper (due to pair-instability supernovae) mass gaps, standard siren cosmology, and recent events including GW190814 (with a secondary object that might be a neutron star or a black hole; we're not sure which) and GW190521 (with two black holes potentially within the pair-instability mass gap).

Ramona Echols,  EFI/HEP Business Administrator
University of Chicago | Enrico Fermi Institute
T: 773-702-8113 | E: Rechols06 at uchicago.edu<mailto:Rechols06 at uchicago.edu>
Hours: 8:00AM – 4:00PM
Remote on Thursdays