[Seminars] FW: [theory-seminar] Fwd: [kadanoffcenter_events] JFI Presents Closs Lecture - Prof. Julia R. Greer, California Institute of Technology

Ramona Echols rechols06 at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 26 12:38:35 CDT 2021

[image.jpeg]
The JFI Hybrid Seminar Presents
The Professor Gerhard L. & Liselotte Closs
Lecture Series
"Materials by Design: Three-Dimensional (3D)
Nano-Architected Meta-Materials"

[image.jpeg]

Prof. Julia R. Greer
Department of Physics
California Institute of Technology
Abstract
Creation of extremely strong and simultaneously ultra lightweight materials can be achieved by incorporating architecture into material design. In our research, we design and fabricate three-dimensional (3D) nano-architected materials that can exhibit superior and often tunable thermal, photonic, electrochemical, biochemical, and mechanical properties at extremely low mass densities (lighter than aerogels), which renders them useful, and often enabling, in many technological applications. Dominant properties of such meta-materials are driven by their multi-scale nature: from characteristic material microstructure (atoms) to individual constituents (nanometers) to structural components (microns) to overall architectures (millimeters and above).

Our research is focused on fabrication and synthesis of nano- and micro-architected materials using 3D lithography, nanofabrication, and additive manufacturing (AM) techniques, as well as on investigating their mechanical, biochemical, electrochemical, electromechanical, and thermal properties as a function of architecture, constituent materials, and microstructural detail. The focus of this talk is on additive manufacturing via function-containing chemical synthesis to create 3D nano- and micro-architected metals, ceramics, multifunctional metal oxides (nano-photonics, photocatalytic, piezoelectric, etc.), shape memory polymers, etc., as well as demonstrate their potential in some real-use biomedical, protective, and sensing applications. I will describe how the choice of architecture, material, and external stimulus can elicit stimulus-responsive, reconfigurable, and multifunctional response.

Tuesday, October 26, 2021
 4:00 P.M.
GCIS W301/W303
Zoom Link:  https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/j/97852949186?pwd=OTd6d2FsZlZKNUIzaTRPd0VvL3A4Zz09<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/uchicagogroup.zoom.us/j/97852949186?pwd=OTd6d2FsZlZKNUIzaTRPd0VvL3A4Zz09__;!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!pfI85DPTbSe_RZMlkrHN-TAW8yle8cilEhJNLj9UpEu-PdTKzBN6eyaP0sdsFPXja-N5$>
 Meeting ID: 978 5294 9186
Password:  932026
Refreshments will be served
Cosponsored by the Department of Chemistry
For any questions please call Brenda Thomas at 2-7156 or contact Host: Nanetta Pon, Npon at uchicago.edu<mailto:Npon at uchicago.edu>
http://jfi.uchicago.edu/events.html

Brenda F. Thomas

JFI Colloquium/Seminar Coordinator

MRSEC Program Assistant

Computations in Science Seminar Assistant

University of Chicago

James Franck Institute

929 E. 57th Street – E124B

Chicago, IL 60637