[Seminars] Restarting the traditional HEP Lunch this coming Monday

Ramona Echols rechols06 at uchicago.edu
Fri Nov 5 11:02:04 CDT 2021

Please see message below from Professor Henry Frisch

On 11/5/21, 10:30 AM, "Henry J. Frisch" <frisch at hep.uchicago.edu> wrote:

    Dear All,

               We're restarting the traditional HEP Lunch, Mondays at nominal

    noon. The

    tradition, which stems from the much older Institute Faculty Seminar that

    was held in RI480(faculty only!)  is a talk on short notice- in that case

    NO notice- on what one of the folks in the room is working on, or might

    work on, or just is curious about and wants to tap into the knowledge in

    the room. Jim Cronin started this in the early 70's as an alternative to

    the 'Physics Table' at the Quad Club where Michelson and others had held

    forth long ago and was still going.

               We'll start this Monday in MCP 215; it's bring your own lunch--

    for this first meeting Scott has very kindly agreed to subsidize some

    sweets for desert. As always (not always, but traditionally), the speaker

    and topic are chosen at the last minute and not announced. It's an

    opportunity for students, post-docs, faculty to get to know each other and

    talk science broadly.

               The tradition has been that we wander in and start eating around

    12:00; a talk, if there is one, starts at 12:15 and ends sharply at 1:00.

                                                               Best regards,

                                                                               Henry

    for the HEP group- all of us..

    Henry J. Frisch

    Physics Research Center Rm265, EFI

    933 E. 56th Street- enter South doors

    Chicago, Il. 60637

    773-702-7479 (landline)

    For efficiency, I prefer talking on the phone to email,

    please.