[Seminars] EFI Colloquium Monday March 2, 2020

Ramona Echols rechols06 at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 2 07:34:00 CST 2020

    ***EFI Colloquium TODAY***

    Monday March 2, 2020
    MCP 201 3:30 PM

    Speaker:
    Nicolas Yunes, UIUC

    Title:
    WHAT ARE GRAVITATIONAL WAVES TELLING US ABOUT PHYSICS?

    Abstract:
    The recent gravitational wave observations of the collision of black holes and neutron stars have allowed us to pierce into the extreme gravity regime, where gravity is simultaneously unfathomably large and wildly dynamical.  These waves encode a trove of information about physics that is prime for the taking, including potential revelations about the validity of Einstein's theory and about nuclear physics in extreme environments. In this talk, I will describe some of the physics inferences we have made from gravitational wave observations, and the future inferences that will comes next.

    Warmly,

    Ramona Echols,  EFI/HEP Secretary IV
    University of Chicago | Enrico Fermi Institute
    933 E 56th Street, MCP 101
    Chicago, IL 60637
    T: 773-702-8113 | E: Rechols06 at uchicago.edu
    Hours: 7:30AM – 4:00PM