[Seminars] Particle Physics Seminar STARTING IN 10 MINUTES

Mary Heintz maryh at hep.uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 28 15:16:31 CDT 2019

**Particle Physics Seminar STARTING IN 10 MINUTES**

   MCP 201
   3:30 PM

   Speaker:
BEN NACHMAN, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab

Title:
   DEEP LEARNING, QUANTUM INFORMATION AND THE LHC AS A GLUON FACTORY

   Abstract:
Jets produced from high-energy quarks and gluons are ubiquitous at the
Large Hadron Collider (LHC). These objects can be used to study
emergent quantum properties of the strong force as well as search for
new particles and forces beyond the Standard Model. As a jet can have
O(100) particles, analyzing jets is inherently a high-dimensional problem.
Therefore, jet physics has been leading the integration and development
of modern machine learning tools for high-energy physics. This high
dimensionality also is a challenge for classical techniques to account for
all quantum effects in the evolution of jet formation. I will start by
discussing the exciting new field of precision jet substructure, with the
latest results from the ATLAS experiment and interpreted in the context
of new theory calculations. This sets the stage for two exciting parallel
developments where quantum computers and machine learning may
lead to fundamentally new insights. After briefly mentioning the
potential of quantum algorithms, I will illustrate the power of deep
learning with a new class of algorithms called weak supervision that can
learn directly from (unlabeled) data and potentially uncover high
dimensional structures hidden from our ordinary three-dimensional view.
In this way, machine learning can help us learn something new and
fundamental about nature