[Seminars] Colloquium

Ramona Echols rechols06 at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 1 08:31:59 CST 2019

* EFI COLLOQUIUM*

Monday March 4, 2019
4:15PM
PRC 201

Speaker:
ANDREI STARINETS, UNIVERSITY OF OXFORD

Title:
STRING THEORY,QUARK-GLUON PLASMA,AND THE DYING WHISPERS OF BLACK HOLES

Abstract:
Heavy ion collision programs at RHIC and LHC instigated a renewal of
theoretical interest in relativistic hydrodynamics as an effective theory.
The collisions create hot and dense nuclear matter known as the strongly
coupled quark-gluon plasma: the parameters of the plasma can be
measured with remarkable precision but its theoretical study is hindered
by the strong non-perturbative effects of thermal QCD. At the same
time, strongly interacting gauge theories at finite temperature and
density can be investigated via holographic duality, connecting them
to classical black hole space-times in higher dimensions. In particular,
spectra of quasiparticle excitations in the strongly coupled plasmas are
mapped into the quasinormal spectra of black holes, whose dying
whispers tell us about plasma's viscosity and other transport coefficients,
and set the limits of the hydrodynamic description. In the talk, we review
the current status of this line of research, and reflect on recent advances
in our understanding of gauge theory plasmas in the regime of
intermediate coupling provided by dual gravity with higher derivative
terms.

Warmly,

Ramona Echols,  EFI/HEP Secretary IV
Enrico Fermi Institute