[Seminars] PARTICLE PHYSICS SEMINAR TODAY

Ramona Echols rechols06 at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 8 07:10:36 CDT 2019

        *** Particle Physics Seminar ***

        Please join us TODAY!

        MONDAY April 8, 2019  at 3:30pm in PRC 201

        PALEO DETECTORS-DIGGING FOR DARK MATTER

        SEBASTIAN BAUM, STOCKHOLM UNIVERSITY

     Direct detection experiments have delivered impressive limits on
the interaction strength of Dark Matter with nuclei. A large
experimental program is underway to extend the sensitivity of
direct detection experiments, however, such experiments are
becoming increasingly difficult and costly. Recently, we proposed
Paleo Detectors as an alternative approach to the direct detection
of Dark Matter: Instead of searching for DM induced nuclear recoils
in a real-time laboratory experiment, we propose to search for the
traces of DM interactions recorded in ancient minerals over
geological time-scales. In this talk I will discuss this proposal,
including ways to mitigate backgrounds and methods to read out
tracks from ancient minerals.