[Seminars] Particle Physics Seminar TODAY

Mary Heintz maryh at hep.uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 26 08:40:28 CST 2018

*** Particle Physics Seminar ***

Please join us!

TODAY at 4:15pm in PRC 201

SUPERSYMMETRY IN HADRONIC FINAL STATES AND THE POTENTIAL FOR RE-USE

GIORDON STARK, UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, SANTA CRUZ

Fine-tuning and naturalness arguments motivate the mass of the gluino, the supersymmetric partner to the gluon, to be close to the weak scale. Searches for supersymmetry are often characterized by the amount of missing transverse momentum (MET) and large object multiplicity in the final state. Today, I'll talk about a search considering a simplified, R-parity conserving (RPC) model in an extreme of this phase-space, with many jets, many b-jets, and large MET. I'll highlight the analysis strategy, the semi-data-driven background estimation methods, and techniques used to derive an exclusion contour to set lower limits on the gluino mass. Finally, I'll wrap up with an introduction to pyhf - a tool for binned statistical likelihood designed for fast statistical inference and simplification of likelihood archival and re-use/re-interpretation. This tool was recently used to reproduce the exclusion contour of the analysis.