[Seminars] Particle Physics Seminar - Today!

Holly Jaffey holly2 at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 31 11:40:25 CDT 2016

PARTICLE PHYSICS SEMINAR TODAY

Monday October 31, 2016
ERC 401
4:15pm

Speaker: Andrey Elagin (UChicago)

Title:  Reconstructing the Topology of Neutrinoless Double-Beta Decay Events Using Fast Timing

Abstract: Experiments searching for neutrinoless double-beta decay (0vBB-decay) are required to have an increasingly large active detector mass. A kiloton-scale liquid-scintillator detector deep underground is an attractive option due to scalability and good energy resolution. In such a detector, neutrino interactions due to 8B decays in the sun become the dominant background, which is usually considered as irreducible because of an overlap in deposited energy with the 0vBB-decay signal. I will show that in a large liquid scintillator detector surrounded by fast photo-detectors, such as the Large-Area Picosecond Photo-Detectors (LAPPDTM), it may be possible to reconstruct the event topology and separate the two-track 0vBB-decay signal from the one-track 8B background events. I will also discuss recent advances in the development of the LAPPDTM.