[Seminars] Particle Physics Seminar Today! - ACC 211

Holly Jaffey holly2 at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 17 10:32:22 CDT 2016

PARTICLE PHYSICS TODAY

Monday October 10, 2016
ACC 211
4:15pm

Speaker: Michael Mooney (Brookhaven National Laboratory)

Title:   First Results from MicroBooNE

Abstract: MicroBooNE is a large (89-ton active mass) Liquid Argon Time Projection Chamber (LArTPC) experiment operating near the surface at Fermilab in Batavia, Illinois. The detector will study neutrino interactions from the on-axis Booster Neutrino Beam (BNB) at short distance (470 m), enabling an investigation of the MiniBooNE low-energy excess as well as neutrino-argon cross section measurements. Another key purpose of the experiment is to gain experience with the operation and calibration of large LArTPC detectors in preparation for the SBN (Short Baseline Neutrino) program at Fermilab and DUNE (the Deep Underground Neutrino Experiment). We discuss the principal physics goals of MicroBooNE and highlight aspects related to operating a large LArTPC near the surface. The calibration program for the MicroBooNE LArTPC is discussed, and first results of the experiment are presented.

Please let me know if you’re interested in joining our guest speaker for dinner after his talk.