[Seminars] No speaker for 3/28: Cancel?

Henry J. Frisch frisch at hep.uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 28 12:15:01 CDT 2016

Max- the policy is that we have the lunch every monday, speaker or no.
Traditionally when there's no speaker lined up we ask someone to talk, or
have a discussion of issues related to science. There are lots of things
to talk about- gravitational waves, LHC performance, whatever. So, to
repeat, there's ALWAYS a Monday lunch.
 	On the subject of invited speakers, the message that they
shouldn't give a typical HEP seminar seems to get lost every time we have
new folks running the seminar. I have a proposal- we codify what we've
often used as instructions for speakers- no more than 20 transparencies,
with less being better, and chalk-board much prefered.
 	We already have an HEP seminar- we've had a wonderful tradition
with the lunch, and if we're to change it, it'll be a change in the
attendees- I hope the tradition of 2-way information flow rather than a
1-directional lecture stays intact.
 					Best regards- Henry

--
Henry J. Frisch