[Seminars] HEP Seminar Today - October 5

Holly Hernandez holly2 at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 5 09:07:01 CDT 2015

HIGH ENERGY PHYSICS SEMINAR TODAY

Monday October 5, 2015
ACC 211
4:15pm

Speaker: Dave Schmitz (UChicago)

Title: Neutrino physics with liquid argon detectors at Fermilab

Abstract: The discovery of neutrino masses and mixing has emerged as one of the great success stories of experimental particle physics in recent decades.  Now a firm component of the Standard Model, neutrino oscillations present us with exciting opportunities for continued discovery, from identifying a new source of CP violation (matter-antimatter asymmetry) to searching for exotic new particles that don’t interact through any of the fundamental interactions (except gravity).   In this seminar, I will describe the world-leading experimental program at Fermilab that is aimed at pursuing these potential discoveries, focusing on the developing Short-Baseline Neutrino (SBN) program and its connection to the future long-baseline underground experiment, DUNE.  At the center of both is an exciting detector technology for this physics, the liquid argon time projection chamber, and I will describe our ongoing efforts developing this technology for the challenges ahead.