[Seminars] HEP Seminar Today - Feb 9

Holly Hernandez holly2 at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 9 09:29:17 CST 2015

HIGH ENERGY PHYSICS SEMINAR TODAY

Monday February 9, 2015
LASR 162
4:15pm

Drinks afterwards!

Speaker: David Miller (UChicago)

Title: New results in the search for new physics in hadronic final states at ATLAS

Abstract: I will present new results in the search for supersymmetry in fully hadronic final states. These results use a novel technique that utilizes templates of jet observables in order to search for signatures of massive new particles using a fully data-driven background estimation. In addition, I will describe future prospects using these and other new methods for both precision measurements and new physics searches. In particular, I’ll introduce the new high-speed trigger system being built here at Chicago that is specifically designed to find boosted massive particles during Run III after the Phase I upgrade of the LHC and ATLAS.