[Seminars] HEP Seminar Monday - April 6

Holly Hernandez holly2 at uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 3 12:30:30 CDT 2015

HIGH ENERGY PHYSICS SEMINAR MONDAY

Monday April 6, 2015
LASR 162
4:15pm

Speaker: Swapan Chattopadhyay (Fermilab)

Title:  Frontiers of Accelerator Science: from High Energy Particle Colliders to Quantum Degenerate Beams

Abstract: I will present the current conception of potential future high energy TeV- scale particle colliders, high intensity proton accelerators and precision storage rings under consideration around the world for exploring the sub-atomic world of elusive forces, symmetries and particles such as the “Higgs”, “Neutrinos” , “Muons” and physics beyond our current understanding . At the foundation of such concepts are the fundamentals of accelerators based upon material and microwave superconductivity, integrable and near-integrable nonlinear dynamics, advanced phase-space control techniques, and various novel concepts of plasmas, materials, bright particle sources, lasers and quantum optics. We will also touch upon some of the emerging ideas of laboratory-based free-electron lasers for various photon sciences and astro-particle physics experiments based on “quantum-degenerate” particle and light beams.

If you’re interested in getting dinner with Dr. Chattopadhyay after the seminar, please let me or Prof. Wah know. Thanks!