[Seminars] Fwd: [theory-seminar] REMINDER PARTICLE THEORY SEMINAR TOMORROW

Bjoern Penning penning at cern.ch
Tue Feb 18 21:33:11 CST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard J Hill <richardhill at uchicago.edu>
Date: Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Subject: Fwd: [theory-seminar] REMINDER PARTICLE THEORY SEMINAR TOMORROW
To: johnda at uchicago.edu, Yasuyuki Okumura <Yasuyuki.Okumura at cern.ch>,
Bjoern Penning <penning at cern.ch>

Hi,
fyi, the following theory seminar of Tim Cohen might be of interest to HEP
experimentalists.

Best,
Richard

Begin forwarded message:

*From: *Beth An Nakatsuka <bnakatsuka at theory.uchicago.edu>
*Date: *February 18, 2014 9:03:40 AM CST
*To: *Seminar List <theory-seminar at listhost.uchicago.edu>

 REMINDER PARTICLE THEORY SEMINAR TOMORROW

DATE:  WEDNESDAY FEBRUARY 19, 2014

TIME: 1:30P.M.

PLACE: ACC 211

SPEAKER: Tim Cohen, SLAC

TITLE:  "Jet Substructure by Accident"

ABSTRACT: We propose a new search strategy for high-multiplicity hadronic
final states. When new particles are produced at threshold, the
distribution of their decay products is approximately isotropic. If there
are many partons in the final state, it is likely that several will be
clustered into the same large-radius jet. The resulting jet exhibits
substructure, even though the parent states are not boosted. This
"accidental" substructure is a powerful discriminant against background
because it is more pronounced for high-multiplicity signals than for QCD
multijets. We demonstrate how to take advantage of accidental substructure
to reduce backgrounds without relying on the presence of missing energy. As
an example, we present the expected limits for several R-parity violating
gluino decay topologies.   This approach also is amenable to a novel method
for determining QCD predictions using templates -- probability distribution
functions for jet substructure properties as a function of kinematic
inputs. Templates can be extracted from a control region and then used to
compute background distributions in the signal region.  Using Monte Carlo,
we will demonstrate the procedure with two case studies and show that the
template approach effectively models the relevant QCD background. This work
strongly motivates the application of these techniques to LHC data.