[Seminars] HEP lunch talk today

Antonio Boveia boveia at hep.uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 27 09:46:22 CDT 2010

Today I've invited Ephraim Fischbach and Jere Jenkins from Purdue for the
HEP lunch talk:

  EVIDENCE FOR A CORRELATION BETWEEN NUCLEAR
  DECAY RATES AND SOLAR ACTIVITY

  Unexplained periodic fluctuations in the decay rates of Si-32 and
  Ra-226 have been reported by groups at Brookhaven National Laboratory
  (Si-32), and at the PTB in Germany (Ra-226). We show from an analysis
  of the raw data in these experiments that the observed fluctuations
  are strongly correlated in time, not only with each other, but also
  with 1/R where R is the distance between the Earth and the Sun. In
  addition, observations made during the solar flare of 13 December
  2006, support the implication that solar activity influences decay
  rates, perhaps via neutrinos. This implication is further supported by
  more recent work which has uncovered additional periodicities in both
  the BNL and PTB data characteristic of solar rotation. Some possible
  applications of these results to space travel, carbon-14 dating, and
  cancer treatment will also be discussed.

On the lunch web page,

http://hep.uchicago.edu/lunch/lunch_index.htm

I've posted links to some of their recent papers.

This talk will be at 12:15 in HEP 323, the usual time and location.

Antonio