Generating, Production, and Standard Ntupling
Basic steps for generating with Pythia
- First login to cdf
- Then create a new directory at your terminal by typing
- Next go to Nancy's page and download into your newly created directory the following files:
- make sure you save these into a proper directory...when you right click on the files on her page, the correct directory path to save it under is:
Then go back to your terminal and type cd directory name to switch into your new directory. Type ls to make sure these files have been saved into your directory
Now type the following commands at the cdf prompt:
setup cdfsoft2 3.16.0
This will spew data...
Be careful of typos....remember that capitalization does change commands
> cd ~cdfsoft/dist/releases
>ls // check to make sure 3.16.0 is in directory
>ls // check to make sure if Production is in directory
>ls // to make sure ProductionExe.tcl is in Production directory
>cp ProductionExe.tcl yourdirectoryname's path
> ProductionExe ProductionExe.tcl -i filename -o prod.root // where filename is the file that was produced when you generated using pythia and prod.root is the input file that you renamed in the run_stnmaker.tcl file
After production is finished you can ntuple. Note that your "filename"
which you are running production on need not have a .root suffix, although
it will if it is produced as in the steps above.
> stnmaker.exe run_stnmaker_mc.tcl
This ntuples the events....after this is completed, you can look at the input file through event display
> evd prod.root
this will allow you to view the data through pretty graphs...!
How to Ntuple WITHOUT running production first
- go to billy's directory /cdf/data1a/wjcottre/practice and copy the file stnfilter_inclusive.tcl into the directory you plan to ntuple from
- emacs the file you have just copied and change the input file (each time you use a new file) to the filepath of the file you are ntupling. Change the output file (each time you use a new file) to the filepath of wherever ntupled files are being saved at the moment (i.e. for stream a data the path is /cdf/data2h/stream_a/ntupled/"ntupledfilename" )
- at prompt type:
setup cdfsoft2 3.18.0pre2
- then in the directory you saved in type
stnmaker.exe "stnfilter_inclusive.tcl" or whatever you renamed the tcl file.